Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tip Tuesday

Throwing a party on a budget is not always an easy thing to do. Believe me I know!

 One thing that I find extremely helpful is planning ahead of time.  I usually give myself three months. I do this for a couple of reasons. One I am a planner and I hate doing things last minute it stresses me out. The other reason is so I can get organized. I first decide on the on the theme of the party since that is what everything stems from.  I set my budget and then get to work on making a list for all my party needs. I start with the guest list - that way I know how many people I am planning for.  After my list is made I know what I need from food to party decor. I usually make most of my party decorations so this time frame also allows me the time to make everything.

I then keep my eyes open for sales. I try to make the most out of what my budget allows and giving yourself time allows you to be a little more picky when it comes to buying items for your party. If it is not on sale I usually will pass on it unless it is an item that I can buy at Joanns or Micheals and can use my 40% off coupon.

Here is a great example of why giving yourself ample time can save you money.  I was at the party store just poking around. For the most part I avoid party stores at all costs. While I was there I saw a 5 foot Cat in the Hat that would be perfect for my daughter's 3rd birthday party, plus I knew that she would flip when she saw him.  I looked at the price and then thought I think I saw that at Micheals the last time I was there and I would be able to use my 40% off coupon for it. I ended up saving myself $4.00 and when I was there I also noticed that there Wilton's chocolate melts were on sale for $1.99 I picked up two different colors for her party!  At the party store the Cat alone would have cost me $10.00 but since I waited and used my 40% off coupon I was able to get the Cat plus the two bags of chocolate melts for $10.00.  Had I waited till the last minute I would have bought both at full price making it harder for me to stretch my budget.

So remember these things to keep yourself on budget for your next party.

1. Plan plenty of time ahead
2. Make a list of your party needs and keep a budget notebook to keep yourself on track.
3. Look for sales!

I look foward to sharing all the details of my daughter's 3rd birthday with you. I can not wait to share all the ways that I was able to save money and the one BIG mistake that I made this year!

No comments: